Sunday, April 14, 2013

A Shocking Love

I'm about to say something that will sound heretical: it does not surprise me that God loves me.

That's not what I'm supposed to say, right? Because I'm a terrible sinner, and He's perfect, so I should be totally unloveable.

And I am. 

But because of Christ's death, the Father has adopted me into His family. And it logically follows that a God who would go to such great lengths to have a relationship with me would love me in and through and because of and for that relationship.

What does not make sense to me at all is that I love Him. 

He's infinitely loveable, more beautiful than all other desires. But I was born with a wicked heart, one that is bent in toward myself, one that takes tiny created things and makes them into gods for me to spend my life worshipping. I'm inherently unable to view things through a lens of truth. Truth is all around me, to be sure. But my natural eyes are too dim to see it.

So it continues to shock me every day, when I find myself growing more in love with Him all the time. When I want to read His Word. When I want to obey Him more than I want to do my own thing.

And I know that it must be His love for me working within me to produce this love for Him. Because I don't know how to love good things on my own.

I'm stunned by my love for Him, because it is the most gripping, obvious, undeniable evidence of His love for me.


We love because He first loved us. - 1 John 4:19

5 comments:

Katie L said...

That last line... beautiful.

Julia said...

I fell in love with Him at first when I was 14 because He was the only thing that made perfect sense. But as I got older, His love for me stopped making sense. After all I've done, and continue to do, it doesn't make sense for a Holy God to love me... I never considered it to not make sense for me to love Him. I love this post.

Cassie said...

SO TRUE!!! Loved this! :)

Cassie said...

LOVED THIS!!! so true, thank you for sharing!

Christine said...

Ahhh, so true. This is awesome.