Monday, March 08, 2010

stir & steal

A few days ago, J and I were wandering around Greenville and he asked me about my Sabbath. "What does it look like for you personally?"

Here's my answer:

Sabbath is my "reset" button. It's the day when I attempt to disconnect from most of the things that distract me, while making a concerted effort to re-evaluate my heart, my mind, and my actions to see whether or not I'm choosing Him in each area. Each week I evaluate my actions based on this idea:

"Find the things that stir your affections for Christ and saturate your life in them. Find the things that rob you of that affection and walk away from them. That’s the Christian life as easy as I can explain it for you." - Matt Chandler


What have I done in the past week that fed my affection for Christ? These are some of the things on my "stir" / "saturate your life with" list:

being outside
exercise
serving in the green room
D-Group
accountability meetings
spontaneous fun
fireworks & explosions
staring at the sky
soul-stirring music
loosely structured scheduling
traveling
talks about science and time travel
talks about God and theology
sermon podcasts
hanging out with good friends
spending time w/Jesus as soon as I wake
laughter
encouraging others
seeing and meeting people's needs


What have I done in the past week that pulled me away from Christ? These are some of the things on my "steal" / "eliminate from you life" list:

too much / not enough sleep
staying up too late (I do most of my sinning late at night)
drinking more than 2-3 drinks in a night
eating too much / little
spending too much time on the internet / facebook
laziness and passivity
sex scenes in movies
watching TV
certain magazines
listening to or participating in gossip
being selfish with my time, dreams, gifts, instead of Kingdom-focused
negative conversations
sexual songs
club scenes where debauchery is the goal

Because Sundays are usually workdays for me, I often take my Sabbath on Monday. Here's what went down last Monday:


Slept 8 hours
Read the Bible while eating breakfast
Sat in a park and did my Bible study for D-Group
Lunch with a friend
Piper podcast while running, Chandler podcast while working out
Showered
Coffee with a friend
Monday night D-Group
Sat on a porch, talking with friends

Sometimes I take a vow of silence for the better part of the day. Sometimes I fast. I try not to be legalistic about anything. I just want to make sure that it's not overly full or that it's not a lazy or "pampering" day. I can't tell you how much this has breathed life into my spirit.

But that doesn't happen from rest alone. The point of resting from distractions is so that I can pursue deeper intimacy with Christ and remind my heart that its focus should always be on Him. I get to push everything else aside and just love my Lover.

What stirs and steals your affections for Christ?

3 comments:

anna said...

This is the most interesting/convicting blog entry that has popped into my google reader in a long time. Something just 'clicked'...thank you!

lesums said...

I needed to read this today. Thank you for your vulnerability.

Anonymous said...

Hey TLC, just felt like i need to tell you this(part of this) will be in the kick off to summer Bible Study for the Youth Over here in Rose Hill
Andy Beard "from way back"