Monday, May 05, 2008

Whatever befalls us...

"Whatever befalls us, however it befalls us, we must receive it as the will of God. If it befalls us through man's negligence or ill-will or anger, still it is, in even the least circumstance, to us the will of God. For if the least thing could happen to us without God's permission, it would be something out of God's control. God's providence or his love would not be what they are. Almighty God Himself would not be the same God; not the God whom we believe, adore, and love."

- Mary Wilder Tileston, Daily Strength for Daily Needs

This is easier to hear and believe when things are going well. But I've found it more crucial to believe when I'm struggling, when I'm waiting, when I'm hurting. One of the most crucial things of the Christian walk (for mine, at least) is actively believing in His unceasing goodness to me, no matter the circumstances. Lord, help me to be unwavering... not in my hope of what things You'll do for me, but in my pursuit of YOU as the ultimate.

3 comments:

Scott Wagner said...

Amen! This is something I still need to be reminded of even after cancer. Thanks Tara.

Brad Ruggles said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. This really hit home for me. We were supposed to move into our new house but the deal fell apart. So we're in a new city where we don't know anyone living out of a hotel.

Every day we have to remind ourselves that God's plans are best and that He has everything under control. It's one thing to say that but it's another thing to live it out!!

Brad Ruggles
www.bradruggles.com

blue-eyedchick said...

Amen! We recently lost our home due to a whole lot of circumstances outside of our control. I know that God used that to get us where he wanted us to be. Even though it has been heartwrenching and painful, I would do it all over again. Outside of His will my life has no meaning.