Monday, April 14, 2008

What NOW?

Recently, a friend suggested that I read The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. In case you're not up to speed, I'm uh... not married. So this seems like the most absurd book choice, except for maybe Experimental Rocket Science. But because she is a trusted friend who always gives me wise, godly advice, I ran out and picked up a copy.

It's a 30-day prayer guide with one focus for each day... things like: his work, his temptations, his fears, his trials, his emotions. Appropriately, the first chapter instructs you to pray for "his wife," because "one of the greatest gifts you can give your husband is your own wholeness."

There are a lot of single ladies who read this blog, and I'm talking to you, so listen up: Proverbs 31:12 says that the wife of noble character does her husband good, not harm, all the days of her life. ALL the days. Not just after they're married. Not just after she meets him. It begins BEFORE he even sets foot in her world.

One of my earliest memories is of my mom telling me I should pray for my husband. I've been doing it since I was a kid. So maybe this book isn't so ill-timed after all. In fact, maybe every single girl who hopes to someday marry should go pick up a copy for herself, so she can be praying for her husband NOW.

I think it's an amazing book, and you'll have a hard time not loving it. I finished the 30-day prayer plan in a week's time (yes, it's that good!), and I'm planning to pray through it monthly for the foreseeable future. I believe God will work changes in me and in my husband-to-be because of what's happening in my prayer life NOW. So, gather up your self-respect (or just throw on a fake wedding band), head out to the store, and get yourself a copy!

P.S. Married ladies, you too!!

P.P.S. Dudes, you're not off the hook either.

4 comments:

Randy in the Rock said...

Great blog. My wife and I have told both of our boys (15 & 10) to begin to pray for their wife now. Of course my 10 year old thinks girls have "cooties". Any way, found through clicking on Don Miller's name - have a great week - and I am gonna get your new book this week

Ashely said...

Hi Tara! God has really convicted me through this posting. I even put a link to it on my blog to encourage others to do the same. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

K.R.Brownlee said...

I read this book many times when my husband and I first got married, but I must admit it has been awhile since I've picked i up. Thanks for the reminder. : )

germaine said...

I actually read another book that was sitting on a shelf outside my office... "Being Nice to Your Husband on Purpose"... a married friend of mine picked it up and said "Maybe I should read this"... and to encourage her I told her that I would read it with her. I don't think you are crazy for reading it... I will look into the one you suggested. :)

Love ~G