Thursday, February 07, 2008

Today's little nugget of fun...

First of all, I abhor the word "nugget." It gives me the heebiest of jeebies. So I am only using it facetiously.

Second, here's the nugget (Ewww.): Find yourself some wise people and hang out with them. It will seriously alter the course of your life in the best way you can imagine. People who speak hard truths to you, people who love Jesus more than you, people who make good decisions, people who make you think, "I want what they have."

Life is too short to become stagnant and lethargic. Sure, it's comfortable to be around the people who let you keep being the same old version of yourself, because frankly, you're probably awesome. But your life will never be a race toward beauty and truth and sanctification if you don't cut the dead weight and get moving!

And when I said "dead weight" you automatically thought of a specific person in your life, didn't you? You know that person who is toxic to your health and your growth... it's time to draw some boundaries. It doesn't mean they're a bad person, it may just mean that the two of you don't have the best chemistry for friendship.

Whoever wrote Hebrews talked about getting rid of our crap so that we can pursue the best things. Except he said it more eloquently. So read this... don't just pass over it because it's a Bible verse and you've probably already read it a million times before. Read it. It is awesome.

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus.... (Hebrews 12:1-2).

Here's to deeper, stronger friendships with people who make us want to be better and who help us do that.

End nugget.

7 comments:

Harrison... said...

well TLC, It was my absolute pleasure to do so. I have always thrived to be an Usher of sorts, I actually wanted to change my name to Usher but unfortunately the name was already taken by some RnB singer... oh well.
Thanks for the post and I look forward to your book!
Also I enjoyed your nugget of the day... keep the nuggets coming!
I do relish the fact that you dislike "nugget" so much, but not the words "heebie jeebies", who woulda thunk it!

Catherine said...

it's funny that you wrote this because recently i just got rid of all that dead weight, and although i miss them...i've never been happier than i am.
god bless!

Annie said...

Good nugget.

Lindsay said...

um... okay, so let's just say due the fact that I talked to you YESTERDAY and the proximity of that call to this post... i hope we can still be friends... :-?

BotSO said...

If you put Mc in front of nugget is it still so bad???

The Musician said...

Cough..Danger...Cough Cough...
No, I haven't finished the book yet! It could all work out fine and you KNOW... I'm opinionated. I am. It's one of those character assets/defects. And I LOVE the word nugget. It makes me laugh.

PS. Could you have your web guru make it so I don't have to subscribe with ONLY bloglines? I like my google thingy, but I know it doesn't give you awesome statistics back...erg. (try feedburner, it gives lots of options, including bloglines, I think)

K.R.Brownlee said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. Its something we know, but need to be reminded of. I was just thinking of someone I love dearly, but need to separate myself from. Thank you for your willingness to speak the truth no matter what it costs.