Thursday, December 06, 2007

Getting There (And Back)

In the past 7.5 years, I've traveled well over 500,000 miles in my own cars and rental cars. For approximately 350,000 of those miles, I was lost. I kept piles of paper with directions scrawled across them. Napkins, paper bags, hotel receipts -- crumpled up in my purse -- containing all the information necessary to get me to the next venue.

When the "you can't miss it" directions left me missing it, I struggled to track down promoters. When those promoters didn't answer their phones, I desperately hunted coffee shops with wi-fi where I could google the directions. I drove with my laptop on my lap, open to the web page.

When Google Maps failed me, I gave them another chance. When they failed me 10, 11, 12 times, I renounced them and went back to Mapquest. Like it's 2002 or something.

But in November 2007, I gave all that up. That's when I met Lucille.

Lucille knows how to get everywhere, and she even knows where I am without my having to tell her. She remembers where I live, and she tells me exit numbers and street names, even if she does refer to the Tri-boro Bridge as "Tree Borough Branch" and an "expressway (Expwy)" as an "Ex-pwee".

She is small enough to fit in my purse and smart enough to route me around real-time traffic. With Lucille as my witness, I'll never go the wrong way again!

Behold, Lucille - the Navigon 2100.

2 comments:

mcrorytestamint said...

i'm a little offended that you discussed directions and left out tilley maps... i dont really even know what to say right now.

Christine said...

LOL!!! She's named after my aunt! Awesome!