Sunday, April 22, 2007

In the meantime...

Sorry I haven't written much lately. Touring, lack of internet access, lack of camera--all these things are reasons. Tonight, however, there is reason enough for me to stay up later than I should, finagle internet access, and write this out. It is this:

I called home today to catch up with my mom for the first time in several days, and my sister answered. "Why are you there?" I asked. "Mom isn't doing so well," she said. My mom had a bad spinal injury over a year ago and has been on lots of medication to help subdue the pain (the doctors wanted to avoid surgery). This has worked fairly well so far, but for the past few days, she hasn't really been able to move and she is in terrible pain. She had an MRI yesterday; results are expected on Monday. Dad says it will probably require surgery.

It would be a lie to say I'm not tempted toward fear. My prayer is that He will heal her, restore her health. My other prayer (for me) is that I will remember where my hope lies and that I will rest in the peace of God's plans and timing and immense love, whatever the outcome.

I'm headed home tomorrow night to see her during a brief break on this tour, but I'll only be able to stay there for about 15 hours. Tonight, as I sat in my hotel room and opened up the Bible study book that I'd been putting off for a few days, I found that the chapter happened to be about peace. It was perfectly timed. I will leave you with this, which comforted me and reminded me of the truth:

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

If you are one of those people who talks to God about things, then I would love it if you would pray for my mom. Her name is Carole. She is amazing. :)

Thanks,
Tara Leigh

6 comments:

Chad said...

Thanks for writing that. I really needed to hear that scripture. I just had surgery Friday, a biopsy to see if I have Lymphoma. I haven't really been reading my bible lately, and I'd forgotten that verse. Thanks again, and your mom will be in my prayers. God bless.

TLC said...

Chad, thank you so much for your comment and your prayers. I've added you to my list of people to pray for... PLEASE give me an update when you hear something! The truth that I'm clinging to is this: if I can just remember who God is (His character, His love), then I will know the peace He offers. I pray that for you and for all those around you who love you...

TLC

germaine said...

Philippians is one of my favorite books and that verse is one that I cling to also... I will be praying for your mom!

Love ~G

ester said...

Oh Tara Leigh, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! Please give her my best and let me know what happens; I'll be thinking about you both. I'm sure just having you there will be such a comfort to her. Maybe it'd be a good time to talk to her, like you mentioned you wanted to ...

My dad just got out of the hospital himself and will be recovering for about six weeks -- but we're being hopeful, and my mother's enforcing a strict No Drama policy (subtitled: It's Just Cancer!) In a funny way, I think it's helping.

heather p said...

I am sorry to hear your mom is in so much pain! Thank God you can get that 15 hours out of your tour to go see her. I'll pray for her.

dennis said...

Will be praying for y'all...