Wednesday, March 28, 2007

This city is a circus!

Last night, Jessye and I hiked up/down to 34th & Park to watch the annual March of the Elephants. Every year when the Barnum & Bailey Ringling Brothers Circus comes to town, they drop off the elephants in Queens, then march them through the Queens-Midtown Tunnel into Manhattan, down 34th Street, and into Madison Square Garden. It happens around 1:00 a.m., so I was surprised at how many people turned out and lined 34th Street.

Here we are waiting for the elephants:



The elephants in all their NY-loving glory:



03.28.07
The lead elephant in the March of the Elephants.




And the um... aftermath:



Usually there are lots of PETA protesters for this event, but I didn't see any. Perhaps they were further west on 34th. I don't often find myself on the same page as PETA, but after watching this short video, I definitely don't think I'll ever go to the circus again.

2 comments:

jcdc said...

A sad story - when I was in HS a group of us decided to surprise our friend on her birthday with tickets to the circus. We went so far as to blindfold her until we were seated at the Coliseum. When she realized where we were, she was horrified! Suffice to say, she didn't like this b-day surprise :(

Mike said...

Funny you should bring up PETA. I'm wearing my PETA t-shirt today!