Thursday, March 08, 2007

Not That Excellent

Lee is of the opinion that photos should only be posted if they are excellent. He posts maybe one photo to his Flickr page every six months. And they are always quite excellent.

Clearly, that is not the case here at HTH.

This Photo-A-Day project is intended to help me capture the memory of my days. And while the memories themselves are usually beautiful, the photos rarely are. I'm okay with that.

For the first six years that I toured around America, driving every interstate in the lower 48, I took no photos to document it. Last year I toured with Josh Wilson and he shot tons of photos, which inspired me. So I gave away my old digital camera that was roughly the size of a small child (and with 1.3 megapixels!), and I bought a new one online. I learned how to use it (so different than 35mm!), and I've been having a blast ever since.

P.A.D. gives me a way to keep track of my life, to look back and remember where I've been, who I've met, what I've seen and loved. But today I have taken a picture in honor of Lee. I know, I know... I'm no Tec Petaja, and this is definitely not a great shot, but it is one that I took only because I loved the texture of the curtain, not because it would hold a memory for me. Although now it will. Hah!

03.07.07
Two mirrors on my friend's livingroom wall, one reflecting the curtains, the other showing the opposing wall. The orange glow is from the low lighting and the fact that I didn't use my flash. I'm not a fan of the flash. (NYC)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am an aspiring photographer, but realize with every passing day that sometimes the pictures that aren't technically perfect are the ones I love most. They capture real life in that moment, and they make me happy.

And I only use the flash if I absolutely HAVE to-I hate the flash look too.

~Rachel
http://paulysrachie.typepad.com

dennis said...

That's too bad, TLC, because the Flash was a pretty cool superhero. He was pretty fast, anyway.

dennis said...

As far as photography is concerned, though, the flash is a bit overused. It has it's place too, though, and sometimes a picture just doesn't look right without it.