Thursday, February 01, 2007

Books & Carts

I should be packing for tomorrow's big drive (12 hours of a 16-hour trip), but I've decided to update you on a few things I've been slacking on. Also, I managed to snag a parking spot on the opposite side of the street, which means I saved myself 2 hours in the morning. This is what it's like to live at the mercy of the weird NYC DOT Calendar. But it's all quite good.

Since I'm unable to make a post without mentioning the Idiotarod, I want to leave you with my favorite piece from the race results, all of which are available on the C.O.B.R.A. website. (Perhaps NSFW)

MOST IMPROVED AWARD: THAT TEAM FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE
Sorry we forget your name. In 2006, they tried to bring a shopping cart across state lines tied to the roof of their car, were pulled over and forced to return it to the closest Target. So they ran with a cardboard box. Well, they returned and this year managed to have an actual cart! That is a 100% improvement over having no cart. Or is it an infinite increase? How many times more is 1 over zero?


And I've fallen behind on updating my books. Last week I read:



Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
Doris Kearns Goodwin

Information: 5
Enjoyment: 4
Total: 9

I am on a "Presidents" kick right now and thoroughly enjoying it. Although I used to prefer Jefferson, I've come to believe that Lincoln may have in fact been the greatest president. We all know that he possessed a uniquely strong moral character, but this play-by-play of his presidency shocked me with his brilliance and boldness as well.



At First Sight
Nicholas Sparks

Information: 0
Enjoyment: 0
Total: 0

This was a big, reeking pile of emotions. And I am a girl. Still, I couldn't handle it. I thought that since I enjoyed The Notebook, maybe he had something to offer here. I was so very wrong. The plot was predictable, the dialog was intolerably sappy, and I never felt compelled to care about the characters.

Currently reading: The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell, and re-reading Plan B by Anne Lamott.
*

1 comment:

ester said...

it's "vowell," not "powell." :-) but enjoy! see you on the flip side ...