Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Books so far...

One of my new year’s resolutions was to read one book per week, and I also intend to write short reviews of each book. I’m starting with Revolution in World Missions because I finished reading it at the beginning of the year.

My two main reasons for reading books are information and enjoyment, so I’m rating them on two 5-point scales, one for each category. There are certain books that, while I might love reading them, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend to anyone else. On the other hand, some books are about as much fun to read as swimming through mud, but have been a great deal of help to me. I hope this point-system is coherent.

Revolution in World Missions
K.P. Yohannan
Information: 5
Enjoyment: 4
Total: 9

I have a feeling that at the end of the year, this will still be the book that I suggest reading more than any other. It changed the way I view my life, and I believe that it will change the way you view yours. At least a dozen times every day, I think about this book and the things I learned from it. Summarizing it would be a disservice.

The Secret Life of Bees
Sue Monk Kidd
Information: 2
Enjoyment: 5
Total: 7

I tend to steer clear of modern novels, but I really loved this one. It has that “Oprah’s Book Club” feel to it—emotionally bold and laced with the effects of racism. It actually made me cry, which is rare for books.

Myths, Lies, & Downright Stupidity: Why Everything You Know Is Wrong
John Stossel
Information: 4
Enjoyment: 4
Total: 8

This book reads like a 20/20 report, which makes it flow quickly and easily. And the subtitle isn’t too far off: I believed errant information about most of the topics he discussed.

Coming Out
Danielle Steel
Information: 0
Enjoyment: 2
Total: 2

Disclaimer: I only read it because it was there and I had a few hours to spare. This was my first (and likely my last) DS book. I can tolerate a cheese-novel if I actually learn something, but this one taught me nothing. The story of twin daughters preparing for their debutant ball, it bored me and prompted my cynical side to emerge.

The Mighty & the Almighty
Madeleine Albright
Information: 4
Enjoyment: 4
Total: 8

I didn’t expect to like this book. She surprised me with facts and history, instead of the barrage of opinions that I anticipated. Good for anyone interested in learning more about foreign policy and the history of America’s involvement in foreign affairs.

P.S. I'm still taking pictures, I just need to stop and upload them. I don't have much internet access here and am currently leeching, so forgive me for the delay!

No comments: